From Working Mom to Pursuing Dreams: My Postgrad Journey at 47

        I've always had this little itch to pursue a master's degree, but somehow, life had other plans. Right after I got married, I actually got accepted into a master's program in Gender Studies at the University of Indonesia (UI). But just as I was about to dive in, my hubby gently reminded me, "Maybe we should focus on starting a family first?" And there went my academic aspirations, temporarily parked.

       Fast forward a few years, and I was knee-deep in diapers changes, daycare driver, meals cooking, PTA meetings, and work deadlines. The thought of enrolling in a master's program felt like dreaming of a vacation on Mars—nice, but not happening. My days were a blur of school runs, helping with homework, and trying to keep my eyes open during late-night work sessions. Occasionally, I'd wistfully think about further education, but then Raya's drawing lesson, Shasha's school project and project missions would snap me back to reality.

        As the kids grew older and more independent, I found myself with a little more breathing room. One day, out of nowhere while sipping a (still hot!) cup of coffee, I thought, "Why not dust off that old dream of a master's degree?" With hubby's encouragement, I decided to take the plunge. I enrolled in the postgraduate program at Sahid University, majoring in Corporate Communication. Returning to school at 47 felt like signing up for a marathon with zero training. I never knew that it would be a mental and physical challenge hahahaha. 

        One of the biggest hurdles was retraining my "rusty" brain. It had been ages since I'd last studied, and let me tell you, the communication theories I once knew seemed like ancient hieroglyphs. I spent countless hours googling to understand about philosophy, statistic, management reputation, etc, trying to catch up with my younger classmates who could probably recite these theories in their sleep. It was humbling and, at times, hilarious. My laptop was full by stacks of eBooks online, muttering to myself like a mad mom.

from working Mom

to postgraduate student

        Despite the obstacles, this journey has been incredibly rewarding. With a strong commitment (lots of coffee and help from chatgpt), I've managed to juggle all my responsibilities. I've enjoyed the new experience of learning, debating with younger classmates, and freely express my thought to my professors. It's been refreshing to be around young, enthusiastic minds who bring fresh perspectives and ideas to the table. These interactions not only enriched my learning experience but also helped me stay updated with the latest trends and developments in the field of communication.

        Emotionally, being a mature (old) student has had its ups and downs. There were moments when I felt out of place or doubted my abilities. But the support from hubby, kids, and office mates helped me push through these moments of self-doubt. I realized that pursuing a master's degree at my age was not just about achieving a personal goal; it was about showing my children that it's never too late to chase your dreams. I wanted them to see that with hard work and determination, anything is possible.

        This journey has shown me that age should never be a barrier to personal growth and education. It requires dedication and effort, but the fulfillment and growth you experience are well worth it. Pursuing a master's degree at my age has allowed me to rediscover my passion for learning, expand my knowledge, and open new doors for my future career. It's been a challenging but incredibly rewarding adventure, and I'm grateful for every moment of it.

        Please keep pray for me, so that I can maintain my commitment to learning and be an example for my kids, showing them with determination and perseverance, anything is possible and there are no age limits for education or any other dreams. :) 

CONVERSATION

4 comments:

  1. lovely inspiring writing! I will pray for your every step of the journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you Tante 🫶🏼

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moga lancar miih studynya ya.. menarik miih klo ada tmn2 baru beda angkatan. Itu kayak jadi bikin fresh gitu nggak siii 😆 ya walaupun kadang, heran sama istilah2nya ye

    ReplyDelete
  4. So inspiring, thanks to inspired us. Being mom or dad doesnt mean that we are to late to reach or dreams..

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top